Monday, May 23, 2011

Ry's Class on Gay Moms

I was in Rylie’s classroom, visiting, because I had been taking photos for Dylan’s class photobook, and felt obliged to spend some time with Rylie as well.  Two things happened that I wanted to mention:

First, everything is so peaceful in the room, Miss Cathy, sitting in the rocking chair, focused on the kids, some kids in a “house” right in front of her made of playstands, some kids fingerknitting, some kids playing on the margins, Miss Cathy clearly at the center, holding everything.  Rylie is so happy to see me we are playing, she and Jack and Sayeeda are showing off their fingerknitting to me, Akmal too, Ry gives me two to put on my wrists right then.  Then Jack says, happily, “Rylie, come on, I’ll race you in fingerknitting!”   Even though Ry says no, my pleasure in the moment is not less:  racing in fingerknitting???!!!

Second, I am sitting next to Rylie, my back to the half of the class at the other table, at snack.  There is an argument going on behind me and I don’t catch it all, but I catch someone (a boy’s voice) saying “Yes two girls can too marry… Rylie’s moms are married.”  And then a jumble and then another boy says, in our general direction, “ My two uncles are married.”  Or something which implies a gay male partnership.  I let it slide, I get to let it slide.  Our presence here, my presence here, Ry’s presence here, is enough to change the dynamics.

No comments:

Post a Comment